- April minutes: Approved
- Treasurer’s Report: Approved
- James River Women
- Donated boats and gear moved into storage unit
- Continuing conversations w/RPS about future programming for students
- VOF grant
- Discussions about how to distribute the new safety brochures: on site at put-ins / Huguenot Flatwater, at outfitters, tubing services, etc.
- JROC Gear Swap
- Made $1,600-1,700; OAP students did a great job planning, promoting, and running the event.
- Improvement ideas: starting sales at 10am instead of 10:30 to reduce lag time; wrap it up earlier. 50 or so people came to browse/buy. Lots of variety in gear on display. Discussion of a higher percent of sales to JROC: 25-30% (currently 20%) and incentives for people who want to donate gear with 100% of proceeds from that item to JROC (T-shirt, etc.)
- Discussed possibility of holding another one in the fall to tie in w/50th anniversary of the park – would want student help again
- Worked out great not using the shelter
- There were 100 participants for the paddle the lake event – Boys to Men mentoring participants practiced guiding rafts
- Huguenot Flatwater
- Ramp should be completed this Friday, 5/6! Concrete pad at the turnaround we already paid for but not included in this; different contractor. Said they could do it in 5 weekdays (we can still direct users to alternative access from the lot).
- Pump during construction removed sediment, making a gap/drop at the end of the ramp. Contractor has plans to fill this in.
- Motion to approve JROC solely funding the concrete pad: $7k of funds already dedicated to this project. Quoted rate could increase in a few months, so time is of the essence. Extra funds to go to access, not repaving the whole lot for example.
- Up to $8k – Approved
- Opening ceremony- need to plan it. Could hand out safety maps when they’re printed. Choose a date before Riverrock in order to promote it then.
- Planting today; grading should be done by Friday
- JRPS report
- New JRPS maps ready – contact Shawna if you want a stack to distribute.
- Pumphouse ribbon cutting tomorrow 5/5 at 1pm – grand reopening
- Growing concerns about limited parking, esp at Reedy Creek. Constantly refining when JRPS parking lots get opened during the year- depends on activity, security, etc.
- How to preserve the wilderness feeling of the park – This was an overarching goal of the park’s master plan when it was approved. Discussions underway about creating a natural resources manager position, but this would be for the whole City, not just JRPS.
- Help various adventure groups become aware of alternative parking (Forest Hill Park, etc. instead of Reedy)
- April – 220,319. On par w/previous years (slightly down from 2021). Reedy creek counter replaced. The Wetlands counter down now.
- YTD- 560,466
- Lots of Earth Day cleanups overlapping- great turnouts
- Invasive plant removals – chipping up massive piles, like at Ancarrow’s for example
- Outdoor classroom kiosk under construction
- CSO work is happening near 42nd St. Putting dams up to hold the water back, using existing pipes as storage to keep overflow out of the river, then when the stormwater event is over, the pipes are able to transport it to treatment plants.
- Over 60 natives planted at Tredegar St. Every invasive that was previously planted there by the switchbacks up to Belle footbridge have been torn out.
- Graffiti removed from above quarry pond on Belle Isle – park staff needed to rappel off edge to clean it up
- JROC projects
- Evening project was the only project last month. Removed the unused chain link fence near porta johns at Reedy.
- Removed large section at Northbank near TX Beach
- Need volunteers for table at Riverrock
- 7th St floodwall lot – painting of parking stripes needed. Make sure access parking is included.
- Issue of yard waste dumping into park upstream of Nickel Bridge. Need to reinstall park boundary signs; used to have them every 100’.
- Need to start planning King of the James
- Projects Committee: Had a meeting on 5/2. Created list of projects.
- Patrick needs someone else to spearhead June evening project
- Natalie will create recurring or duplicated Facebook events for all these- can be edited later on. 3rd Saturday, and the Wednesday prior for evening projects
- Friends, Falls / Scenic
- Diversity Park – have been in touch w/new contact. Need parking restored; parking on 1st St discussed.
- Josh working with the City to try and plan an event for the park’s 50th anniversary. Possible music etc on Sept. 15th during James River Week.
- Wood River Run 5k on 4/16 was successful
- May 19: Raging James beer release – proceeds going to Friends
- Artworks approached Friends – art opening August 26 where artists enter their works for sale. Proceeds going to Friends.
- Friends is funding Tredegar improvement project and improving fence line from 22nd St tower to the wood bridge
Leave a Reply